Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Bike #1 Van Dessel Superfly

When I decided to start riding to work (somewhere around September of 2004, I decided to splurge and buy a really nice urban commuter bike. I did a little research and came across the Van Dessel Superfly. There were no more available, so I found one at a little bike shop on the Interweb. I had it shipped to me from South Carolina.



As I understand it, Van Dessel is a bike company in New Jersey that builds mostly track bikes. The Superfly and a few related bikes represented an entry into a new market for Van Dessel. The experience must not have been very positive, because Van Dessel discontinued the bikes. There seems to be a cult following of the Superfly and the Country Bob, and I am happily a member.



The short list of what's cool about the Superfly: Aluminum frame, Cannondale-style headshock, front disc brake, rear drum brake (neither brake suffers any performance penalty when it is raining or snowing), suspension seat post, full fenders, and perhaps most interesting, a Shimano Nexus 7-speed internal gear hub. The Nexus hub means that the drive gears are shielded from weather and dirt. Here are a few photos of mine.



I have found this bike to be a perfect implement for commuting. Well, almost perfect, because not long after I started commuting on it, I built a fixed-gear bicycle. More about that later. I really like this bike, and even though I don't use it much any more, it is so cool that I can't bring myself to part with it. It is a perfect bike to lend to friends because there is nothing to explain about it. Just ride it and twist the grip shifter if you want to change gears. I have used it to pull a kids trailer around Bar Harbor, Maine, and it was perfect for that.

My only complaint with the bike is that the front brake squeals sometimes.



I have pulled off the funky moustache handlebars and replaced them with a flat MTB bar. I couldn't get used to the other handlebars. Frankly, I think they are a bit gimmicky. I also removed the headshok and put in a normal fork. I may put it back--it doesn't make a big difference either way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange question for you, but I am finally getting around to replacing my moustache handlebars, and I have no idea what diameter it is. Can you tell me what it is?

Anonymous said...

i have the exact same bike. although it doesn' look as cool as most fixes, and it's really huge and heavy, i do love it in the rain and in the snow. after reading your post, i am glad i kept it instead of selling it on craigslist.

Anonymous said...

I bought the SuperFly and love this bike. It's in perfect almost new original condition and a blast to ride. A truly unique ride that draws constant attention and comments every place I go. If you ever have the chance to buy one i'd suggest jumping on it as they are fairly rare now.