Friday, January 09, 2009

iPhone Photography: Add-On Lenses

I bought two lenses for my iPhone in hopes of adding some capability to its camera. They were made for cell phones, but they work just fine with the iPhone with a little work. The lenses attach to the back of the phone with a strong magnet in the lens. The lenses mount to a metal washer that is affixed to the phone with adhesive. The iPhone doesn't have enough flat area for the whole washer, so I clipped mine back with wire snippers. The washer now ends right where the edge of the iPhone starts to fall away. I purchased the lenses expecting to use the zoom one most. But the macroscopic one turns out to be the best and most useful. Here are some photos of the lenses, of the mount on my iPhone, and of some things I shot at with the lenses. The first is a before/after shot of an office with the plain iPhone lens and then the 2X zoom. The next two are macro shots of my keyboard and of the inside of one of my watches. I could not read with my bare eyes the writing on the metal tab holding in the battery, so I took a photo and blew it up on my iPhone.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks cool. How is the distortion? Are they good quality?