Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Imelda Marcos mit den 3 Streifen

What does a man do when he is forced to watch the premiere of "Lost"* because it is his wife's birthday? Why, I get the iPhone out and take photos of all of my Adidas shoes. And then post the catalog online for all the world to admire.

A little prologue about this. It all started out innocuously enough. I have always known that Adidas fit my feet well. A few years ago, a friend gave me a pair of Adidas running shoes. The shoes were just slightly too big for me, but economic circumstanced dictated that I wear them anyway. This led to the discovery of something amazing: I had been wearing shoes 1/2 size too small all my adult life! These larger Adidas fit my feet better than any other shoe ever had. So the die was cast. Apart from the odd pair of Keens for the beach, Crocs for looking like a hippie, and dress shoes for not looking like a hippie, I am pretty much exclusively an Adidas guy now. If I find a pair of Adidas in my size that I like, I buy them without even trying them on. That's how confident I am that they will fit. This has only let me down in one situation--when I found that hiking boots should actually fit sort of snugly in order to prevent blisters (60 miles in Yosemite with REALLY bad blisters, more on that sometime). I also went down 1/2 size for my cycling shoes, and that was the right choice.



















Seattle, suede
Yukora mid ATS, mesh / leather
Samba, leather and suede
Samba, leather and suede
Cyclone, synthetic cycling
ADI TR, suede
Gazelle II, suede
ADI TR, suede
"Mexico 70" Gazelle, suede
Country 73, leather
"Vacation City" Marrakesh Gazelle II, leather
Gazelle, patent leather
Flavours of the World, France, suede
Classic Skater Vulcan, leather
CAMPUS II (The Original Games), synthetic / suede
Calgary Winter Olympics 1988, synthetic
Anzo Aprese Low, suede



*"Lost" is an improbably popular US television show. I recognized fairly early on that this was a show that was willing to be dishonest with its viewers. Call me cranky, but there you have it. It jumps the shark on every episode, has innumerable soap - opera - style - "everything - you - just - watched - was - part - of - a - dream" devices**, is loaded with inconsistencies, and in general is contrived to keep you coming back to see more schlock next week. For the record, I think the whole thing is some sort of big time/space bending magnet that allows time travel. Also for the record, I don't give a fat flying crap about it. It is the show I hear in the background while I am waiting to get the remote back so that I can watch "The Ultimate Fighter." For those of you who are asked to describe Lost to someone who hasn't watched it, here is my answer: Take equal parts "Bill and Ted," "The Sixth Sense," "Cast Away," "Twister," and "Lord of the Flies." Cut in a bunch of filler, and there you have it. "Twister," by the way, gets in there because of Helen Hunt's magical self-washing white shirt in that movie. Apparently there is a magical salon and laundromat the Survivors visit a few time per day.

**I know these flash-forwards and flashbacks and blah blah and have to do with time travel.*** So technically they aren't using this soap opera device. Even if the writers had this whole thing storyboarded as one big monolith before starting Season 1, I still feel they are being dishonest in the way they roll it out. But that's down to taste, and there's no accounting that.

***I have email evidence that I called this at the start of the second season. I am happy to acknowledge that some sad corner of the Lost community out there knew this before I did. I grudgingly admit that bringing Bill, Ted, and Marty McFly to primetime is kind of cool.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

You are so wrong about "Lost". So very wrong.

lindsi said...

Andy and I are just jealous of the shoe collection you have going on....we LOVE Adidas shoes as well!

Trifunovici said...

I wish I can send you a pair of adidas shoes. I have a bigger collection but have a good excuse - a work for the best company in the world... And I'm with you on Lost! :)