Saturday, December 05, 2009

Fillet MigDingDong

We have a tradition of going camping in the summer in Vermont with a large group of friends. On one of the mornings we have a wonderful communal breakfast consisting of huge quantities of pancakes, bacon, eggs, and orange juice. In previous years, my good buddy Dave has capped the meal off by making a plate of what he calls "Weapons of Mass Deliciousness," basically dropping a glob of pancake batter into boiling bacon drippings to deep fry it. The resulting deep-fried biscuits are delicious and are, in fact, threat-level-red dangerous to the cardiovascular system.

This year we got to the end of the meal and I had what can only be described as a flash of culinary brilliance. Sitting at my picnic table, I noticed a package of chocolate Ding Dongs


and a plate of cooked bacon. Maybe it was the massive shock in my blood sugar level brought on by chugging straight maple syrup. Maybe it was the fifteen pancakes I had just eaten. Whatever the case, in one magical moment, I noticed that the Ding Dong resembled a fillet mignon in size and shape. Running with the similarity, I began imagining how one could prepare a Ding Dong in the manner of a fillet. Imagination soon became reality as I took a Ding Dong from its package, wrapped bacon around its circumference, and pinned the bacon down with toothpicks. Then I took the Ding Dong/bacon assembly and immersed it in pancake batter. This dripping mess went straight into boiling bacon grease. A few minutes on each side frying the plump morsel to a lightly crunchy golden brown and Voila!

By the time the Ding Dong was in the oil, a crowd of mocking healthy people had gathered to witness this culinary "abomination." Such is the price of genius. The jeers turned to silence as we pulled the Ding Dong from the oil and christened it "Fillet MigDingDong." A few brave souls dared to try it. The verdict? Crazy Delicious.

Battering:

Frying:

One side done, almost there:

Contemplating the first cut:

Workin':

Dave and Dan, declaring victory over bland health food:

5 comments:

Snows said...

You are as crazy as you are wonderful and creative. Now if your sons do this, you will be richly paid back. Love

Jennette said...

I'm having to keep down the dry heaves right now. We may just have to invite ourselves to the next campout in order to try this because, so far, seeing is not believing.

thatbroinlaw said...

Dan,

You rock my heart cath!

G

Curtis said...

We had some friends over last night, and they were telling us about the Filet MigDingDong that a friend of theirs had created. They were telling me this because peanut butter bacon cookies are one of my favorites. This morning, I just decided to google Ding Dongs and bacon and found your blog. I'm pretty sure you are the friend of our friends. Could two people independently come up with an idea like this? Anyway, I agree. The idea is culinary genious. I'd give it a try.

DS said...

Curtis, thanks for the Tim Tam Slam idea. Will try! I am jealous of your time with the Mc's--they were our neighbors in Berkeley.