Sunday, December 16, 2007

Best Commuter Bike Ever Project, Part 3

With the paint is done, I turned to building the wheels. The front has a Shimano DH-3D71 generator hub with 32 holes. I laced it to a Velocity Aeroheat rim with black painted stainless steel spokes and red anodized aluminum nipples for a little bling. The tires are Ritchey Tom Slicks.


The rear hub is a Shimano Nexus 8 Premium. I laced it to another Velocity Aeroheat rim, but with 36 spokes.



The handlebars are Soma Sparrows. I really like these. Here is the bike with no fenders tires, or cables.



Here is the bike basically done except for cable routing. I have taped cables to the frame so that I can commute on it temporarily. It is a REALLY great ride. Whereas I have been able to sense mechanical loss in other internal hubs, I really don't feel any in this hub. It is great. And the generator hub is very low drag, too. I haven't weighed the bike, but even with both hubs it feels like it doesn't weigh much more than my Lemond Poprad road/cross bike. Here is a photo of the bike. Please excuse the massive stash of house paint, pesticides, and other junk. There's a foot of snow on the ground outside.



****NEWS FLASH****
I came across a titanium Merlin mountain bike frame and HAD to buy it. I am strongly considering transferring all of the components to the Merlin for no reason than I really like titanium. We'll see.

1 comment:

Richard said...

If I can persuade my wife, I want to get a road bike this year. Something that I could both train on and occasionally race with (triathlon or duathlon).

Should the necessary authorization be granted...I'll have to consult with you.