Monday, February 26, 2007

Driving it Like it's a Rental

This is a little report on driving my rental car in Italy. Whenever I have a chance to drive a car in Europe, I am struck by how well cars in Europe work. Freeways are awesome and the cars are as a general rule much better than ones we have in the US. I had a relatively humble rental car this time, a FIAT Croma turbodiesel. It had gobs of power, handled great, and had lots of room. The car had a six speed. I certainly set a personal land speed record in the diesel class (200km/h [124 mph]), and came pretty close to setting a personal speed record.





The autostradas in Italy are a great way to get from one city to another. I drove from Milano to Rimini, a distance of 331 kilometers (205 miles). Google maps said this should take 4 hours and 23 minutes. Instead, it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes. That's an average of 147 km/h (91 mph). At no time did it feel unsafe. People stuck to their lanes and the road was super smooth. This is the way interstate travel was meant to be.

No comments: